Lab grown diamonds are becoming more and more popular and it is not hard to see why.
Lab grown diamonds have the same composition and physical properties as naturally occurring diamonds — and as technology has advanced, lab grown diamonds can now rival their natural counterparts in the 4 Cs: Cut, color, clarity and carat.
Unlike mined diamonds, lab grown diamonds are sustainable, ethical, and boast a significantly smaller carbon footprint with equal or superior purity, brilliance, sparkle, and fire.
Saettele Jewelers is happy to provide St. Louis with beautiful, lab grown diamonds that can be used in any setting, whether you are looking at a designer engagement ring or custom piece of jewelry.
Lab Grown Diamonds Offer Significant Benefits
The first aspect that jumps out when comparing natural diamonds to lab grown diamonds is the cost difference: Lab grown variants allow you to save significantly on your engagement ring or jewelry, reducing the cost by up to 40% when considered versus a comparable naturally occurring diamonds.
This means you can opt for a larger, higher-quality stone and still end up saving money. Additional benefits of lab grown diamonds include:
- Lab grown diamonds are ethical, sustainable, and conflict-free. Since they are grown in a lab, these diamonds do not harm the environment through mining or contribute to human rights violations (“blood diamonds”).
- They are comparable in looks and structure to a naturally-formed diamond. Even skilled gemologists can have a difficult time telling a lab grown and natural diamond apart.
- Lab grown diamonds are much more affordable, especially rare colored diamonds like pink, so you can get a bigger diamond and save.
- They can easily make matching stones, unlike natural diamonds which can be difficult to match.
How Lab Grown Diamonds Are Made
There are two primary processes that are used to build lab grown diamonds: High-Pressure, High-Temperature and Chemical Vapor Deposition.
HPHT is the older of the two methods, having been developed in the 1950s, whereas CVD is much more recent process and is now considered the preferred method of growing diamonds.
- High-Pressure, High-Temperature Technique - A diamond “seed” is subjected to extremely high pressures and temperatures, just like a natural diamond would experience. This method can be used to increase the quality of natural diamonds.
- Chemical Vapor Deposition Technique — A chamber is filled with a carbon rich vapor and the carbon atoms are extracted and deposited onto a diamond crystal wafer, which grows the diamond layer by layer. This method requires less heat / pressure and allows for more control over the growth environment, which is why it is becoming the preferred growth method.
As technological advances have improved the process for growing diamonds, the finished product has become indistinguishable from natural diamonds. In fact, even certified gemologists often cannot tell them apart.
If you are looking for a diamond engagement ring or any other piece of diamond jewelry, it is definitely worth considering a lab grown diamond. You will get an equally beautiful, sustainable diamond for significantly reduced cost.